Our History Established in 1951
Christ the King Church was founded in 1945, and held its first Mass in its current location on an early summer day in 1946. Our church further expanded its service to Central Kentucky when Christ the King Church was chosen on March 2, 1988, as the home for the Diocese of Lexington, and is now the Cathedral of Christ the King.
In the fall of 1951, Christ the King School opened its doors staffed by the Sisters of Divine Providence, and has consistently responded to the growing needs of our parish community. The Sisters of Divine Providence were committed to the administration of Christ the King School until 1985, when lay professionals took up the work of these wonderful women.
For almost seventy years, the enthusiasm and initiative of our school administration, parish priests, faculty, and staff, have contributed to the formation of a state–of–the–art school community in which students may learn in the comfort and knowledge that their education is a top priority. The success of our school is due in large part to the special relationship that has always existed between the parish and school community.